Supporting Students Affected by Intimate Partner Violence
Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Course hosted by House of Ruth Maryland
Dates: Tuesdays, October 25, 2022, November 1, 2022, November 8, 2022, and November 15, 2022
Time: 4:30-7:30 PM EST
Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom
Training Audience: Maryland educators, administrators and school staff serving all grade levels
Eligible Credit: 1 CPD credit and/or 12 Category 1 Social Work continuing education units (CEUs) upon completion
Cost: Free; $20 per Category 1 Social Work CEU ($240 total)
Description: Understand how to better support students impacted by intimate partner violence (also known as domestic violence). During this four-day institute, you’ll learn the dynamics of intimate partner violence and how it impacts children and youth including:
- How to identify signs of intimate partner violence and safety plan with students
- The long-term effects of witnessing violence in the home and ways these affect behavior and performance in the classroom
- What healthy, unhealthy, and abusive teen relationships look like and how to recognize physical, sexual, emotional, and verbal abuse
- The use of cultural humility to create an inclusive environment for all learners
- Successful interventions for addressing student resistance and increasing motivation
This is an online blended learning course comprised of 12 hours of live, virtual training via Zoom and 3 hours of asynchronous learning. If you have questions, please contact Jocelyn Broadwick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration is closed.