House of Ruth Maryland Non-Profit Leadership Series
Dates: First Tuesday of every month from May-August 2022
Location: Virtual via Zoom meeting
Audience: Human resource professionals, managers and leaders working at non-profit agencies
Description: Are you looking to strengthen leadership skills and management strategies that address the needs of teams working in the non-profit sector? The House of Ruth Maryland Non-Profit Leadership Series breaks down the best practices of recruiting and retaining top talent, holding productive internal meetings and staff supervisions, providing constructive performance evaluations and ongoing supervisor feedback, and successful ways to encourage teambuilding, motivate staff and build resilience among teams.
The Non-Profit Leadership Training Series is hosted the first Tuesday of every month in 2022. A description of each workshop is listed below. Attendees can participate in all four trainings or choose to select specific trainings that address current needs.
House of Ruth Maryland is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
Workshop 1: Interviewing and Recruiting Top Talent
According to a ManpowerGroup survey, talent shortages in the U.S. have more than tripled in the last ten years, with 69% of employers struggling to fill positions, up from just 14% in 2010. The Interviewing and Recruiting workshop of the Non-Profit Leadership Series will focus on how to better recruit top talent to quickly fill the vacancies in your organization.
During the session, you’ll hear from House of Ruth Maryland’s Human Resources and Development leaders about how to:
- Develop recruiting strategies that attract top talent across a broad range of departments and skills requirements
- Effective ways to reconcile resumes against your requirements list for open jobs
- Interviewing techniques, including the best questions to ask — and the questions you should avoid — that will give you a better sense of candidates skills and experience
- Best practices when conducting reference checks
The session takes place on Tuesday, May 3, 2022 from 9:00-12:00 PM ET.
Workshop 2: Staff Meetings, Supervision and Feedback Techniques
Holding productive meetings and one-on-one supervisions can be challenging when managing teams working on-site, at home or a hybrid of both. The Staff Meetings, Supervision and Feedback Techniques workshop dives into how to leverage effective means of communication and technology to conduct meaningful meetings and supervisions.
During the session, you’ll hear from House of Ruth Maryland’s Chief Financial Officer and Director of Education and Training how to:
- Develop an agenda for internal meetings, one-on-one supervisions and performance feedback that allows managers and their staff to have a productive conversation about workloads, opportunities and challenges
- Connect, collaborate and manage a team of remote employees using technology and communication tools
- Leverage coaching techniques to improve employees performance in real-time situations
- Become a better manager of people and build trust and engagement within teams and across departments
The session takes place on Tuesday, June 7, 2022 from 9:00-12:00 PM ET.
Workshop 3: Performance Feedback and Evaluations
In order to have a meaningful conversation about job performance, you must establish clear definitions and goals that measure employees performance across the organization. This includes, how employees will be rated and measured, the difference between bad, good and great performance, and how employees can leverage performance evaluations as a learning opportunity to improve skills.
During the session, you’ll hear from House of Ruth Maryland’s Director of Legal Services and Director of Survivor Engagement and Stability Services about how to:
- Document the disciplinary and performance evaluation process so it’s clear to both the manager and employee
- Leverage best practices when delivering a live performance review
- Understand employees personas and how to best communicate with them in a performance review
- Spot problematic personas and help these individuals maximize the outcomes of difficult performance conversations
The session takes place on Tuesday, July 5, 2022 from 9:00-12:00 PM ET.
Workshop 4: Team building, Motivating Staff and Building Resilience
Working in the non-profit sector often leads to a high volume of burnout and turnover. It’s important to invest in your employees well-being and self-care so they can have a healthy work-life balance while serving the communities your agency supports — without feeling mentally drained and burnout.
During this workshop, you’ll hear form House of Ruth Maryland’s Director of Clinical Services about how to:
- Build resilience among your teams in a way that puts staff’s well-being first
- Motivate and empower staff members, especially those responsible for direct client care and community services
- Have healthy conversations about balancing community-care and self-care while working at non-profits
- Leverage team building opportunities to engage staff and prevent burnout
The session takes place on Tuesday, August 2, 2022 from 9:00-12:00 PM ET.