House of Ruth Maryland Non-Profit Leadership Series
Dates: Second Wednesday of every month from September 2023 – January 2024 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET
Audience: Human resource professionals, managers, and leaders working at non-profit agencies
Cost: $25 per workshop ($125 for full series). Social Work CEUS are $10 per session. Groups of 3 or more can receive 20% off total cost. Please contact Angélique McKoy at firstname.lastname@example.org to register a group.
Description:Are you looking to strengthen your leadership skills and management strategies to address the needs of your team working in the nonprofit sector? The House of Ruth Maryland Nonprofit Leadership Series highlights the best practices of recruiting and retaining top talent, holding productive internal meetings and staff supervisions, providing constructive performance evaluations and ongoing supervisor feedback, and successful ways to encourage teambuilding, motivate staff and build resilience among teams. The Nonprofit Leadership Training Series is hosted the second Wednesday of the month in 2023. A description of each workshop and schedule is listed below.
Attendees can participate in all five trainings or choose to select the individual training(s) that best suit address their current needs. House of Ruth Maryland’s Training Institute is an authorized sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Workers and can therefore provide Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Each session offers 1.5 CEUs. Participants who attend and complete the post evaluation will also be eligible for a Certificate of Completion.
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Workshop 1: Reviewing and Interviewing
The session takes place on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET.
According to a ManpowerGroup survey, talent shortages in the U.S. have more than tripled in the last ten years, with 69% of employers struggling to fill positions, up from just 14% in 2010. The Recruiting and Interviewing workshop of the Nonprofit Leadership Series will focus on how to recruit top talent to fill vacancies and retain long-term employees. During the session, you will learn from House of Ruth Maryland’s Human Resources leader(s) on how to:
- Develop recruiting strategies that attract top talent with a broad range of skill-sets
- Tailor job descriptions that represent the identity and culture of your specific organization
- Customize interview questions that will provide a better sense of candidates’ skills and abilities
- Implement a hiring process that leads to the retention of staff
Workshop 2: Developing Team Resilience
The session takes place on Wednesday, October 11, 2023 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET.
Working in the nonprofit sector often leads to a high volume of burnout and employee turnover. It is important to invest in your employees’ well-being by encouraging a healthy work-life balance with a focus on mental, emotional, and physical self-care. During this workshop, you will learn from a seasoned House of Ruth Maryland professional on how to:
- Develop a team building process that leads to employee retention and productivity
- Motivate and empower employees who provide direct client care and community services
- Enhance communication across the team by using technology and other communication tools
- Incorporate teambuilding exercises within normal work activities
Workshop 3: Leading Staff Meetings and Informal Coaching
The session takes place on Wednesday, November 8, 2023 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET.
Nonprofit supervisors and leaders of today must navigate on-site, remote, and hybrid work environments simultaneously. This workshop dives into how to leverage effective means of communication and technology to conduct meaningful meetings and coaching sessions. During this workshop, you will learn from one of House of Ruth Maryland’s longstanding executive leaders on how to:
- Utilize informal coaching techniques to inspire and motivate staff development
- Develop fluent agendas for various types of staff encounters: internal meetings, one-on-one supervisions and performance feedback
- Avoid common mistakes when coaching veteran staff
- Recognize the impact of public feedback on staff morale
Workshop 4: Performance, Oversight, and Evaluation
The session takes place on Wednesday, December 13, 2023 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET.
To accurately measure job performance, the agency should have clear expectations and goals for each staff member. Supervisors can have meaningful conversations about job performance, by identifying learning opportunities that will enhance the teams’ overall performance. During this session, you will learn from a tenured House of Ruth Maryland Director on how to:
- Distinguish between the various forms of supervision
- Document the disciplinary and performance evaluation process
- Leverage best practices when delivering performance reviews
- Develop procedures for terminating and promoting staff
Workshop 5: Support, Inspire, and Motivate the Team
The session takes place on Wednesday, January 10, 2024 from 1:00-2:30 PM ET.
Working in the nonprofit sector often leads to a high volume of burnout and employee turnover. It is important to invest in your employees’ well-being by encouraging a healthy work-life balance with a focus on mental, emotional, and physical self-care. During this workshop, you’ll learn from a seasoned, field expert from House of Ruth Maryland on how to:
- Maintain the momentum of a resilient team by implementing an employee sustainability plan
- Adapt leadership styles to the team environment
- Collaborate with your team to identify self-care resources
- Create a system of employee-recognition strategies that motivate, support, and inspire